Monday, September 30, 2019

Nine-Mile Mirrors and Bunyan Tableaux

From the late 1840's through to the late 1860's, the English-speaking world went panorama crazy. In many ways, it was Banvard's panorama of the Mississippi that started it all; his success in England, and later in the United States, was so enormous that he was able to build himself an enormous mansion, modeled on Windsor Castle, which earned the sobriquet "Banvard's Folly" from his neighbors on Long Island. Suddenly, the proprietorship of a moving panorama was a route to fame and fortune unlike any other medium of its day; there were panoramas of the Great Lakes, Mammoth Cave, the Overland Mail to India, the Arctic Regions, and the Oregon Trail. Landscapes and current events were joined by proselytizing panoramas, including one of Garibaldi's campaign to unite Italy, at the conclusion of which volunteers were recruited to join his army. Or Henry "Box" Brown, who had infamously escaped from slavery by mailing himself northward in a shipping crate, traversed England with a panorama of his life, at the conclusion of which he jumped out of a replica box. And, amidst the "true and accurate" representations of all parts of the globe, fantastical subjects were not unknown; Milton's Pandemonium, Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progess, and various tales from classical mythology and the Bible were common. It was, indeed, one of these "Bible Scrolls" that caught Mark Twain's attention; in his parodic story "The Scriptural Panoramist," Twain made great fun of a showman with a Bible-story panorama who, his regular accompanist unavailable, hired the piano player from a local saloon, who ruined one religious moment after another by playing popular drinking songs.

With the emergence of film though, the days of moving panoramas were numbered. In 1903, the veteran panorama showman Rufus C. Somerby reflected on his career in the pages of The Billboard, a showman's periodical that later became Billboard Magazine. Writing as "The Old Panoramist," he reflected on the decline and fall of a medium which had once been well-known in nearly every town in America.

There's hope though -- lately, the medium has been revived, on a somewhat smaller scale, by "Crankies." These mid-sized moving panoramas -- usually between 24 and 40 inches tall and designed to rest upon a table-top -- have taken up all kinds of new forms and themes, even using old-fashioned tricks such as shadow-puppets and back-projection. The finest artists of this new old medium, such as Balimore's Katherine Fahey, have broken new ground, as can be seen in her crankies Pickett's Charge and Francis Whitmore's Wife. The medium lives!

NB: I'd encourage each of you to visit Sue Truman's page of Crankies, view a few, and perhaps comment on one.

6 comments:

  1. "The Scriptural Panoramist" is a cute story, and I suppose it illustrates the decline of the panorama as an art form from massive, detailed oil painting to smoke-house entertainment piece, as well as the parallel downward slope of biblical retellings in public view--though this might, of course, have simply been Twain's sentiment on the subject.

    I can't help thinking that agree with Twain on some level, however: peristrephic panoramas are, after all, several steps down in visual quality from the first panoramas. The addition of a narrator can be seen either as a necessary, regrettable convention for the continuous scrolling of the panorama, limiting natural discovery in favor of marketability, or as an evolution of the art--or both at once. Crankies, likewise, shrink and lose detail over their predecessors, but I've always seen value in the accessibility of artwork, even while the absolute quality of that art declines. One constraint of the world is that quality costs, and it's perhaps better to have some for everyone than plenty for few and none for most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the crankies we watched in class and did a little browsing on my own afterwards, I think they're a great medium especially in a time where film and television are such a prominent thing in our lives. Are forms of Victorian entertainment making a comeback? To a certain degree, I would say yes. There's something "cool" about bringing old forms of entertainment back especially when it doesn't involve a screen. I even looked up "crankie events in Rhode Island" but only found some old summer workshops for kids. I think a lot of adults would really enjoy some crankie making workshops and it would be beneficial to view at something anyone of all ages could enjoy, not just younger kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruba, I agree that there is something "cool" about these types of entertainment forms. I think we're so used to images being created by computers, that there is something special in knowing that what we're seeing was creating by hand. This is not to say that there isn't a skill in creating things with a computer, but I definitely appreciate practical effects more because I know that it really exists. It is not just ones and zeros. We've become such a digital society, that we have to look back to our predecessors to find something made by hand.

      As for the crankies, I think we were spoiled by the Fahey ones. The others are nice, but they're a step below in my opinion in terms of quality.

      Delete
    2. To add to that, I watched "Bein' Green" and thought it was cute, but it definitely lacked the movement and dynamic colors and lightning of "Pickett's Charge."

      Delete
  3. While I appreciate the artistic value and work that goes into something like a crankie, with the paper cutting and all that, I just can't seem to get into it. "Pickett's Charge" was probably my favorite that we watched, but it also had it's shortcomings.

    In this case, I feel like less is not more here. I wanted more. I understand the idea that the music is telling the story, but I find that I have a hard time following along with it. Maybe it's my being drawn to a more written medium, but I just can't imagine that I would be in awe of any of these "shows" that the crankies are putting on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the medium of "crankie", and find myself fascinated with the artistry that goes into it. I chose to focus on "The Giant Turnip", admittedly because I found the name amusing. However, I am happy I chose this crankie because I like being able to watch the cranker, so to speak. Being in charge of operating the crankie is a responsibility to the medium in that to crank slow vs. fast, or vice versa, can change the mood of the story being presented. Furthermore, it is a monotonous job, and to keep a steady rhythm is no small feat in concentration and, dare I say, arm strength. I love the idea of silent film meets visual art that is essentially a crankie. I would love to watch a "making of" video of a crankie; how it goes from being a strip of art to a moving story.

    ReplyDelete